ASBMB Lab Management Course
Are you a new faculty member or PI? Are you a postdoctoral fellow or senior graduate student that is interested in starting your own lab?
How do you go about setting up your lab? How will you manage an initial budget to get off to a great start? Who will you hire? What criteria will you use to select your staff and how will you mentor your trainees successfully? Will you be able to communicate effectively with your staff, and how will you handle any conflicts when they arise? If you have considered any of these questions, then sign up for this free interactive course.
The course will consist of four sessions facilitated by a panel of ASBMB experts with significant experience and expertise in addressing some of the challenges you'll face in setting up your own lab.
Sessions will cover:
- Lab setup and budget management
- Time management
- Communication, diversity and conflict management
Presentations will be provided and an interactive panel discussion will entertain questions and perspectives from you and your colleagues. Attendees will be provided with a thumb drive containing the presentation slides. Completion of a short exit survey at the end of the session is requested.
Priority will be given to any new investigators setting up their first laboratory, in addition to postdoctoral fellows and senior graduate students. Space is limited so don't delay, sign up today!
Saturday, April 4, 1–5 p.m.
- Welcome and introduction
- Session I: Setting up your lab: Managing your startup budget; Lab leadership
- Session II: Staffing your lab: Mentoring; being mentored
- Session II: Time management
- Session IV: Communication, equity and diversity, and conflict management; Interactive
- Panel discussion with audience participation