"It seems every year ASBMB adds another opportunity, training or service to add value to my membership."
"I really appreciate that the ASBMB does more than offer support for traditional career paths. From science policy to outreach and science communication, members have the opportunity to learn from experienced staff using platforms that make these resources increasingly more accessible."
"Being a member of the ASBMB provides you with tremendous challenges, opportunities and resources to grow as a professional."
What the ASBMB offers
Exclusive member benefits
- Discounted registration for ASBMB events — save up to 50% off the annual meeting.
- Free online subscriptions to ASBMB’s three prestigious research journals — the Journal of Biological Chemistry, Journal of Lipid Research and Molecular & Cellular Proteomics.
- Reduced subscription rates for non-ASBMB journals.
- Discounted registration for the Art of Science Communication online course.
- Reduced publication fees for ASBMB journals — save on average $320 per article (regular and industry members only).
- Free posting to the ASBMB job board (regular and industry members only).
Members can apply for:
- Annual awards for all career stages.
- Awards for undergraduate research and outreach.
- Student Chapter awards.
Members enjoy access to:
- The ASBMB member directory.
- The full archive of ASBMB professional development webinars.
- The opportunity to apply for the Advocacy Training Program.
- The chance to organize an ASBMB virtual event, conference or networking event.
ASBMB members also receive benefits through the society’s alliance with the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology.
Scroll up to learn about the benefits of being an ASBMB member
Available to anyone with a doctoral degree who has published at least one paper pertaining to biochemistry or molecular biology in a refereed journal. Regular members may hold elective office, endorse new members and sponsor nonmembers at the society's annual meeting.
Available to anyone who works in industry, biotech or other fields related to the molecular life sciences with a degree (associates or above) in biochemistry, molecular biology or a related field. Industry members have the same privileges as regular members.
Available to postdoctoral fellows (or equivalent) or early-career scientists. Early-career status is limited to 10 years unless postdoctoral (or equivalent) appointment is reaffirmed by a mentor or faculty member. Eligible for automatic promotion to regular membership once criteria are satisfied.
Available to those without a Ph.D. and who are not eligible for regular or early-career membership — typically educators at colleges or high schools, employees of government agencies or nongovernmental or nonprofit organizations, and members of the public with a strong interest in biochemistry and molecular biology.
Available to graduate students. Graduate membership is limited to five years. Eligible for automatic promotion to early-career membership once criteria are satisfied.
Available to enrolled students pursuing bachelor's degrees.
Undergraduates should consider joining a student chapter to receive award and scholarship benefits.
Available to any ASBMB regular member who is a retiree and whose member dues are current. To apply for emeritus status, send the ASBMB an email stating your official retirement date and pay a one-time fee of $100. Emeritus members are entitled to all privileges of regular members but may not hold elective office.