"Being a member of the ASBMB allows me to continue in the tradition of my mentors, and to help support and offer guidance to the next generation of scientists."
"I love ASBMB because it allows a diverse population to shape science and to have a voice thereby impacting the future and direction of the STEM fields."
Vickie De Rose
"I value the ASBMB as a long-standing community with a combined focus on both outstanding science and professional development. The energy at the meetings is fantastic."
"The power of ASBMB is to bring diverse and innovative scientists together in a collegial atmosphere. The society fosters communication and drives novel thinking."
What the ASBMB offers
Exclusive member benefits
- Discounted registration for ASBMB events — save up to 50% off the annual meeting.
- Free online subscriptions to ASBMB’s three prestigious research journals — the Journal of Biological Chemistry, Journal of Lipid Research and Molecular & Cellular Proteomics.
- Reduced subscription rates for non-ASBMB journals.
- Discounted registration for the Art of Science Communication online course.
- Reduced publication fees for ASBMB journals — save on average $320 per article (regular and industry members only).
- Free posting to the ASBMB job board (regular and industry members only).
Members can apply for:
- Annual awards for all career stages.
- ASBMB Annual Meeting travel awards.
- Awards for undergraduate research and outreach.
- Student Chapter awards.
Members enjoy access to:
ASBMB members also receive benefits through the society’s alliance with the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology.
Available to anyone with a doctoral degree who has published at least one paper pertaining to biochemistry or molecular biology in a refereed journal. Regular members may hold elective office, endorse new members and sponsor nonmembers at the society's annual meeting.
Available to anyone who works in industry, biotech or other fields related to the molecular life sciences with a degree (associates or above) in biochemistry, molecular biology or a related field. Industry members have the same privileges as regular members.
Available to postdoctoral fellows (or equivalent) or early-career scientists. Early-career status is limited to 10 years unless postdoctoral (or equivalent) appointment is reaffirmed by a mentor or faculty member. Eligible for automatic promotion to regular membership once criteria are satisfied.
Available to those without a Ph.D. and who are not eligible for regular or early-career membership — typically educators at colleges or high schools, employees of government agencies or nongovernmental or nonprofit organizations, and members of the public with a strong interest in biochemistry and molecular biology.
Available to graduate students. Graduate membership is limited to five years. Eligible for automatic promotion to early-career membership once criteria are satisfied.
Available to enrolled students pursuing bachelor's degrees.
Undergraduates should consider joining a student chapter to receive award and scholarship benefits.
Available to any ASBMB regular member who is a retiree and whose member dues are current. To apply for emeritus status, send the ASBMB an email stating your official retirement date and pay a one-time fee of $100. Emeritus members are entitled to all privileges of regular members but may not hold elective office.