We recognize that faculty members are facing challenges to meet their COVID-19 adjustments for courses this semester. If you cannot meet the deadline and need more time to complete the accreditation application, please email email@example.com before Oct. 1 to request an extension.
ASBMB accreditation is a national, independent, outcomes-based evaluation mechanism that recognizes excellence in B.S. or B.A. degree programs in biochemistry and molecular biology and related disciplines. Accreditation assists BMB educators in meeting the growing demand from collegiate accrediting bodies, university administrators and other stakeholders for regular outcomes assessment. Independent evaluation provides an objective tool for pinpointing strengths and weaknesses in their curriculum.
Note about ASBMB accreditation (March 23, 2020): Due to disruptions arising from COVID-19, we are removing the minimum requirement for a specific number of laboratory course hours to be met. Given that ASBMB accreditation is competency-based, we will work with each Biochemistry and Molecular Biology program individually to learn how they met competencies to the best of their ability. For further guidance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note about online laboratory courses (August 17, 2020): The ASBMB recognizes that the global COVID-19 pandemic has necessitated large-scale, temporary moves to remote or hybrid instruction. Due to the experiential nature of laboratory courses, a working group of the ASBMB degree-accreditation program have reflected on the key features of laboratory courses to offer guidance in support of this temporary move. For more information, please see Going online: What defines a lab?
Benefits of ASBMB accreditation
For degree programs
- Recognition for upholding the highest standards of quality and innovation in BMB education.
- Leverage for acquiring resources from institutions and other funders.
- Access to an independently constructed and scored instrument for assessing student achievement and program effectiveness.
- Competitive advantage when recruiting talented students and star faculty members.
- Curriculum that aligns with the fundamental concepts and critical reasoning skills needed in BMB careers.
- Training in communication, teamwork, safety and ethics.
- Independent, mentored research or cooperative experiences and internships.
- Optional degree certification exam to demonstrate competitiveness against peers from across the nation independent of institutional prestige.
For employers and graduate and professional schools
- Confidence in an accredited institution’s curriculum, faculty expertise and instrumentation.
- Pool of job candidates with 400 or more hours of hands-on laboratory experience.
- Job seekers with communication skills and experience working in diverse teams.
- High-caliber grads who’ve completed accredited programs and earned degree certification.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
"[We applied for ASBMB accreditation] to demonstrate to our peers that we are a highly competent and relevant program... And to our university that we are recognized as a high-caliber, highly successful program."