ASBMB Student Chapters Regional Meeting Award
The ASBMB Student Chapters Regional Meeting Award supports small scientific meetings hosted by individual chapters or in collaboration with other schools or chapters. These meetings should bring students and faculty together, foster an exchange of ideas, and highlight research projects.
Benefits to chapters receiving a Regional Meeting Award
- Supercharge your resume.
- Bring biochemistry and molecular biology researchers to your campus.
- Demonstrate the leadership and organizational skills that employers and graduate programs seek.
- Each approved regional meeting will receive $600 to support meeting expenses.
- Meeting organizers will be authorized to bestow one ASBMB Student Chapters Travel Award to an undergraduate presenter based on the merit of the presenter’s research and poster presentation. Up to two additional ASBMB Student Chapters Travel Awards may be provided depending on the number of additional schools participating in the meeting.
- Promote your ASBMB student chapter.
- Excellent professional development and resume building opportunity.
To receive an ASBMB Student Chapters Travel Award, awardees must submit an abstract to the ASBMB annual meeting by the abstract submission deadline and present at the undergraduate poster competition and during the main EB poster session. Awardees will be notified about registration for these events in January once their abstract has been accepted.
Any active ASBMB Student Chapter, with the faculty advisor’s permission, may submit a proposal to host a regional meeting.
How to apply
- The name of the host chapter and name of the chapter adviser. Applicants must have an active ASBMB Student Chapter.
- The title of the meeting, meeting date, registration deadline and abstract submission deadline. Include a link to the meeting website if available.
- A description of the meeting, including sessions to be held, names of invited speakers (if any) and anticipated attendance. Indicate the expected number of ASBMB Student Chapter members and faculty that will participate in the meeting.
- A brief description outlining how the meeting will be advertised.
- A brief description that defines the role of Student Chapter members in the design and implementation of the meeting.
- A description outlining how the recipients of the Student Chapters Travel Awards will be decided.
- A budget outlining how the award money will be spent.
- A statement that indicates support of the host university.
*The priority deadline for consideration is June 15. However, we will continue to review applications as they are received on a rolling basis. Funded meetings must be held before Jan. 1, 2023.
Responsibilities of chapters receiving a Regional Meeting Award
Chapters receiving the award must fulfill the following requirements:
- Acknowledge ASBMB support on the meeting website and in the program when these are available.
- Sponsor an ASBMB promotional table. Contact email@example.com to obtain promotional materials provided by the ASBMB.
- If Student Chapters Travel Awards are given, submit the recipients’ names, the name of the faculty adviser, contact information, biographies, photos (with photo releases) and brief descriptions of the awardees research projects to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than one month after the regional meeting.
- Submit a short meeting report to the ASBMB education office no later than one month after the meeting. Include in the report the number of attendees and the number of Student Chapter members and provide a listing of all universities that were represented at the meeting. The report also should include photos with proper photo releases (see below), travel awardee information (see above) and hyperlinks to the meeting website, abstract book or program, if available.
- The Regional Meeting Award is administered by reimbursement. Submit invoices with the reimbursement request form directly to: ASBMB education department, 6120 Executive Blvd, Suite 400, Rockville, MD 20852.
Please contact email@example.com for more information regarding regional meetings.