ASBMB Student Chapters Regional Meeting Award
The ASBMB Student Chapters Regional Meeting Award supports small scientific meetings hosted by individual chapters or in collaboration with other schools or chapters. These meetings should bring students and faculty together, foster an exchange of ideas, and highlight research projects.
Each approved regional meeting will receive $600 and be allowed to present one ASBMB Student Chapters Meeting Award to an undergraduate presenter based on the merit of the presenter’s research and poster presentation. Up to two additional ASBMB Student Chapters Meeting Awards may be provided depending on the number of additional schools participating in the meeting.
Up to six regional meetings will be funded by the ASBMB per year.
Any active ASBMB Student Chapter, with the faculty advisor’s permission, may submit a proposal to host a regional meeting.
To receive an ASBMB Student Chapters Meeting Award, awardees must submit an abstract to the ASBMB annual meeting by the abstract submission deadline and present at the undergraduate poster competition and during the main EB poster session. Awardees will be notified about registration for these events in January once the abstract has been accepted.
How to apply
- The name of the host chapter and name of the chapter adviser. Applicants must have an active ASBMB Student Chapter.
- The title of the meeting, meeting date, registration deadline and abstract submission deadline. Include a link to the meeting website if available.
- A description of the meeting, including sessions to be held, names of invited speakers (if any) and anticipated attendance. Indicate the expected number of ASBMB Student Chapter members and faculty that will participate in the meeting.
- A brief description outlining how the meeting will be advertised.
- A brief description that defines the role of Student Chapter members in the design and implementation of the meeting.
- A description outlining how the recipients of the Student Chapters Travel Awards will be decided.
- A budget outlining how the award money will be spent.
- A statement that indicates support of the host university.
Additional applications may be reviewed after the deadline until all awards have been granted. Funded meetings must be held before Jan. 1, 2022.
Responsibilities of chapters receiving a Regional Meeting Award
Chapters receiving the award must fulfill the following requirements:
- Acknowledge ASBMB support on the meeting website and in the program when these are available.
- Sponsor an ASBMB promotional table. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain promotional materials provided by the ASBMB.
- If Student Chapters Travel Awards are given, submit the recipients’ names, the name of the faculty adviser, contact information, biographies, photos (with photo releases) and brief descriptions of the awardees research projects to email@example.com no later than one month after the regional meeting.
- Submit a short meeting report to the ASBMB education office no later than one month after the meeting. Include in the report the number of attendees and the number of Student Chapter members and provide a listing of all universities that were represented at the meeting. The report also should include photos with proper photo releases (see below), travel awardee information (see above) and hyperlinks to the meeting website, abstract book or program, if available.
- The Regional Meeting Award is administered by reimbursement. Submit invoices with the reimbursement request form directly to: ASBMB education department, 11200 Rockville Pike, Suite 302, Rockville, MD 20852.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information regarding regional meetings.