Student Chapter Outreach Grant
The ASBMB Student Chapter Outreach Grant helps Student Chapters increase their involvement in science outreach activities. Funding is available for individual chapters to apply for up to $500 in support of outreach activities in their local communities. Successful applicants also will receive exclusive access to outreach expertise and resources from the Science Outreach and Communication Committee and be featured in ASBMB publications and on the ASBMB website.
Note (August 27, 2020): Due to continued disruptions arising from COVID-19, applications will not be accepted for the fall 2020 application cycle.
The grant is available to active ASBMB Student Chapters. There are two application deadlines each year:
- March 1
- Oct. 1
Applications received after the deadline will be considered for the following grant cycle. Chapters can apply only once per calendar year.
Review of proposals will take place during the four weeks following the application deadline. Applicants then will be notified of their initial results: award not granted, award granted or conditional. Conditionally granted proposals will have a week to submit their revisions and will be notified of a final decision no later than two months after the initial submission.
Application review timetable
|Cycle||Deadline||Initial review||Revisions due||Final decisions||Outreach event|
|Spring||March 1||April 1||April 10||April 21||Fall semester|
|Fall||Oct. 1||Nov. 1||Nov. 10||Nov. 21||Spring semester|
Criteria for awarding outreach grants
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- The project is feasible and the proposed activities are well-thought-out.
- The program addresses a scientific need. Proposals that engage more participants, both from the Student Chapter and members of the community, will be given preference.
- The proposal includes an informal assessment of the impact of the activities on chapter students and the target audience, including the number of participants and feedback (survey, reflection, questionnaires, etc.).
- The program can be delivered within the funds requested and the timescale provided.
- The proposal offers a plan for partial sustainability. Priority will be given to proposals that include a plan for continuity.
Once funding is awarded:
- Chapters will be expected to fill out and submit a summary progress report within two months of program completion.
- Student members strongly are encouraged to present their outreach program through an appropriate ASBMB outlet:
- Applicants are encouraged to catalog their event on the ASBMB guide to outreach to be posted on the society’s website. This site will help connect those interested in outreach and provide examples of activities.