The ASBMB Honor Society, ΧΩΛ, recognizes exceptional undergraduate juniors and seniors pursuing degrees in the molecular life sciences at colleges or universities with ASBMB Student Chapters. Students are recognized for their scholarly achievement, research accomplishments and outreach activities.
To be eligible, undergraduate nominees must:
- Be members of the ASBMB Student Chapters.
- Be juniors or seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale.
- Demonstrate exceptional achievement in academics, undergraduate research and science outreach.
Nominations may be submitted by either a faculty ASBMB member or by the student member.
Nomination materials must include:
- A completed ASBMB Honor Society application form.
- A copy of an official or unofficial transcript indicating science courses taken and overall GPA.
- *NEW* Two completed ASBMB Honor Society reference forms. These reference forms will replace the recommendation letters used in the past and should be completed by two faculty that together are knowledgeable about the applicant's research, ASBMB Student Chapters involvement, and outreach activities. These forms can be submitted with the application by uploading OR by email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Election into the honor society
After a student is elected into ΧΩΛ, a photo and short biography will be published on the ASBMB website. The student also will be recognized during the ASBMB Exemplary Contributions to Education Award lecture at the ASBMB annual meeting and featured in ASBMB Today. Those unable to attend the annual meeting will be sent an official certificate and ΧΩΛ lapel pin.