IMAGE grant writing workshop
The ASBMB Interactive Mentoring Activities for Grantsmanship Enhancement grant writing workshop is designed to help early-career scientists and senior postdoctoral fellows write winning proposals for federal research funding.
- Talks by NSF, NIH and HHMI program directors about funding opportunities and strategies for successful proposal submission.
- Real-time constructive feedback on potential research proposals.
- A mock review panel to provide insight into the grant review process.
- Presentations on best practices for crafting a logical research plan and a creative broader impact statement.
- Practical advice on work-life balance, navigating academia and positioning your research program for sustained success.
- Networking with mentors; NSF, NIH and HHMI program directors; and previous participants that successfully have been awarded funding.
- Access to an online forum for interacting with past and future participants and learning about new funding opportunities.
- Post-workshop one-on-one mentoring with a senior funded ASBMB member.
Sponsored by the NSF and the ASBMB’s Minority Affairs Committee, the workshop is free and includes all meals. (Participants are responsible for their lodging and transportation.)
- The workshop is open to assistant professors and senior postdoctoral fellows preparing to transition into independent academic positions.
- We especially encourage applications from junior faculty and postdoctoral fellows who are underrepresented minorities and from assistant professors from minority-serving or primarily undergraduate institutions.
- Participants do not have to be members of the ASBMB.
- One letter of support from the department chair or PI. The letter must include a financial commitment toward travel and lodging.
- Applicant’s professional CV.
- A one-page research statement outlining applicant’s research interests or proposed work, including specific research aims.
All documents should be prepared as individual PDF files.
Contact the ASBMB education department for more information.
Transform your grant applications
St. John's University
"The workshop really helped me gain insights on grantsmanship strategies. The workshop even helped me in my laboratory administration and student mentoring strategies. I highly recommend it."