Nuggets of wisdom for academic job applications: Interview day
A panel discussion with newly established and senior faculty about what to expect during, and how to prepare for, an academic faculty job interview. We discuss interviews at both research-intensive and primarily undergraduate institutions. The format is a structured 60-minute Q&A discussion with the panel followed by an informal discussion for follow up questions.
Lillian J. Brady
Assistant professor, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Assistant professor, University of California, San Diego
Professor and chair, University of New Mexico
Nick Rhind, moderator
Professor, University of Massachusetts Medical School
Who should watch
- Postdoctoral fellows applying, or planning to apply, for academic positions.
- Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows thinking about their next career steps.
- Lecturers interested in transitioning to tenure-track positions.
- Graduate and postdoctoral advisers and mentors looking to support their trainees’ career development.
- Early-career and midcareer investigators interested in transitioning to a new career in academia.
- What to expect from both remote and in-person faculty job interviews
- Strategies for preparing and presenting a job seminar
- Strategies for preparing and presenting a chalk talk seminar