Marion B. Sewer Distinguished Scholarship for Undergraduates
The Marion B. Sewer Distinguished Scholarship for Undergraduates is named in honor of Marion Sewer, professor of pharmacology at the University of California, San Diego, and former deputy chair of the ASBMB Minority Affairs Committee. Sewer was a role model for students at all stages and was deeply committed to service within the scientific community. You can learn more about Sewer's work with the society and contribute to the scholarship fund here.
The Marion B. Sewer Distinguished Scholarship for Undergraduates offers financial support to students who demonstrate an interest in the fields of biochemistry and molecular biology and enhance the diversity of science. Students whose social, educational or economic background adds to the diversity of the biomedical workforce or who show commitment to enhancing academic success of underrepresented students are eligible.
The scholarship provides up to $2000 toward tuition costs for one academic year. Up to five scholarships will be awarded in each round of applications. Applications by individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged, although all qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, gender, color, ethnicity or national origin. A complete description of the award is available here.
May 15, 2017
Applicants for the Marion B. Sewer Distinguished Scholarship for Undergraduates must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident at the time of application. Students with DACA status also are eligible. Foreign nationals who are in the U.S. on a visa are not eligible.
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a full-time student at an accredited two- or four-year institution located in the U.S. or U.S. territories.
- Have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours (or equivalent).
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0-point scale.
- Be an ASBMB member at the time of application. Undergraduates can join the ASBMB either directly or by joining an ASBMB Student Chapter at a participating institution.
- Recipients of the Marion B. Sewer Distinguished Scholarship for Undergraduates are eligible to apply for a further scholarship in subsequent semesters/academic years.
How to apply
Each applicant should prepare the following documents in PDF format:
- Academic transcript
- Statement of research experience and career goals (maximum two pages)
- Statement on significant educational, social, cultural or economic barriers faced by the applicant in pursuit of their education. Please include a detailed description of the barrier(s) as well as any unique insights, perspectives or skills gained while tackling such challenge(s) (maximum two pages).
- Statement demonstrating the applicant’s commitment to diversity in the past and their plan to increase diversity on campus and in the scientific community as a whole. For example, the applicant is encouraged to describe personal experiences, contributions and accomplishments that demonstrate their commitment to improving educational opportunities and/or quality of life for diverse groups (maximum two pages). Examples of contributions to diversity can be found here.
You can read about the 2016 scholarship recipients in ASBMB Today.
Questions about the Marion B. Sewer Distinguished Scholarship for Undergraduates can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org