About the PAAC
ASBMB has maintained an active public affairs program since 1985. The society's public affairs and advocacy efforts are overseen by the Public Affairs Advisory Committee (PAAC), which monitors and responds to all matters relating to the government's role in the practice of modern science. The PAAC serves and advises the society leadership on governmental issues in which the membership has an interest. The PAAC also oversees the society's public affairs office and sets the agenda for activities, works to publicize the society's views and sponsors relevant events.
Public Affairs Activities
The society's current public affairs activities include:
- Capitol Hill visits by members of the PAAC and other members of the society.
- Meetings with leadership at federal science funding agencies including the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation.
- Interactions with coalition partners.
- Regular contributions to the ASBMB Policy Blotter, the society's policy-themed blog.
- Monthly articles for ASBMB's member magazine, ASBMB Today.
- Distribution of a monthly e-newsletter the ASBMB Advocate to members of the society's local advocates network who want to stay informed of current policy issues. Sign up now!
- Awarding the Howard K. Schachman Public Service Award .
- Administering the society's science policy fellowship.
We also have an Advocacy Toolkit that contains materials for use by ASBMB members in their advocacy efforts.
We are always interested in feedback. Please contact Benjamin Corb, ASBMB's public affairs director, with any questions or concerns.
ASBMB Public Affairs Office
Director of Public Affairs
11200 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20850-3110 USA