Undergraduate Affiliate Network (UAN)
The ASBMB UAN is devoted to building a national network of undergraduate students and faculty for the advancement of research, education, and science outreach. Our mission is to provide networking opportunities and career development opportunities at regional and national conferences, access to research and science outreach, as well as grants and awards to facilitate these aims.
Goals of the UAN
To assist in the development of strong undergraduate programs in biochemistry and molecular biology.
To provide undergraduate programs with access to seminar speakers and regional programs and symposia
To foster interactions between undergraduate educational and outreach programs both regionally and nationally.
To recognize outstanding educational activities in the area of biochemistry and molecular biology by individuals and by programs.
Advantages of Joining the UAN
- Membership to ASBMB
- Free online subscriptions to the Journal of Biological Chemistry (JBC), Molecular & Cellular Proteomics (MCP) and the Journals of Lipid Research (JLR)
- Free subscription to the Society monthly magazine, ASBMB Today
- Free subscription to the UAN online newsletter Enzymatic
- Eligible for $400 Travel Awards to attend the ASBMB Annual Meeting and the Undergraduate Student Poster Competition
- UAN exclusive awards and scholarships: Undergraduate Research Awards, Outreach Support Award, Outstanding Chapter Award, 7-12 Teacher Summer Research Award and more.
- Election into the ASBMB National Honor Society
- Career Resources - employment, grant and internship opportunities
- Access to consulting services by EPD Committee Members to assist new or existing biochemistry and/or molecular biology departments in developing curriculum recommended by ASBMB
- Access to coming accreditation of ASBMB major(s)
- Cash awards for undergraduate and high school student research
- Financial support for K-12 science outreach and education
- Cash awards for outstanding chapters
- Discounted registration fees to the ASBMB Annual Meeting
- Eligible for competitive travel grants to attend the ASBMB Annual Meeting (20 at $500 each)
- Education and professional development opportunities
Responsibilities of UAN Chapter
- Recruit student members to the chapter
- Maintain active ASBMB membership for all members of the UAN
- Maintain an updated list of all student members and their contact information
- Conduct science outreach and sponsor high school science fairs
- Organize regional poster conferences
- Attend and support education sessions at the ASBMB Annual Meeting
- Generate articles for Enzymatic
- Organize journal clubs
- Organize and support UAN Honor Society
Responsibilities of UAN Chapter Advisor
- Communicate with UAN regional director on a regular basis
- Report new chapter activities to UAN regional director and ASBMB or designate a student UAN member to provide regular updates.
- Facilitate and submit applications for UAN scholarships and awards
- Support student activities within the UAN
- Serve as mentor for UAN students
Start a chapter on your campus.
Download the UAN Brochure (print copies are available upon request)
Download the UAN Constitution and By-Laws
How to organize a UAN chapter