Travel award reimbursement policy
Reimbursement of travel award and grant funding is distributed by the ASBMB office in Rockville, Maryland, following the recipient’s participation in the meeting, including all programmed abstract presentations, required award activities and reporting, as detailed in each online award description.
The recipient must complete, sign and mail an ASBMB reimbursement form (form distributed as instructed in the award notification email) along with original receipts to the ASBMB office at the address noted at the bottom of this page. When booking your travel or housing online, you must print out the electronic receipt(s) to submit as your original receipt documentation.
- Make a copy of all documentation before sending to the ASBMB office.
- Six weeks is the average processing time from receipt of documentation in the ASBMB office to when a check is mailed. Processing can take longer due to the high volume of requests following the annual meeting.
- Reimbursement is paid by check in U.S. dollars and will be mailed to the address provided at the top of the travel reimbursement form.
- Reimbursement may be requested for eligible travel related expenses up to the maximum amount of the award/grant.
- Expenses in excess of the award amount must be borne by the individual award recipient or the recipient’s institution.
- The reimbursement check will be made payable to the individual award recipient. If clearly stated on the reimbursement form, a reimbursement check may be made payable to the recipient’s institution.
- Name and mailing address must be legible for request to be processed.
- No funds will be distributed on-site, or prior to the conclusion of the meeting.
- No arrangements will be provided in-kind.
- Reimbursement documentation cannot be emailed or faxed. It must be mailed to the ASBMB office at the address below.
Allowable travel-related expenses vary by award category. Please refer to the award description for specific exceptions to the following list of eligible, reimbursable travel expenses.
- Economy class airfare or train fare
- Pre and post meeting travel dates remain eligible for reimbursement. If you are traveling more than five days pre-meeting and five days post-meeting, contact firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of booking your travel.
- Open jaw itineraries remain eligible for reimbursement. For example, fly from home city to the meeting city and return from a different city to home city, or, fly from home city to the meeting city and return from the meeting city to a different city (not the home city). These examples of an open jaw itinerary are eligible for reimbursement.
- Travel may be on the carrier of your choice. You may book travel using the website or travel agent of your choice. You must present a receipt that shows the passenger name, price paid, class of service, itinerary and travel dates.
- Baggage fees are eligible for reimbursement.
- Mileage and parking at hotel or convention center, if driving to/from the meeting (mileage includes gasoline expenses).
- Parking (home airport).
- Transfers between the airport/train station and hotel or convention center.
- Hotel expenses:
- To request reimbursement of housing expenses, housing must be booked through the Experimental Biology Housing Bureau. Housing booked outside the EB2020 Housing Bureau is not eligible for travel award reimbursement.
- Ineligible for reimbursement is housing arranged via Airbnb, Home Away, hotels outside the EB housing block, etc.
- If sharing housing with another attendee, submit the receipt with a note at the top of the other attendees who stayed in the room and the amount each person paid for the housing. If more than one travel awardee are sharing a hotel room, one awardee must submit the original receipt and the other must submit a copy of the receipt and note as a cross-reference, who submitted the original receipt.
- Housing one night pre and/or post meeting dates are eligible for travel reimbursement. Nights beyond this range are not eligible for reimbursement and are the travel awardee's responsibility.
- Meals for the award recipient only (alcohol excluded).
Expenses that do not qualify for reimbursement include, and are not limited to:
- Meeting registration.
- Housing arranged via Airbnb, Home Away, and similar operations, as well as hotels outside the EB2020 block of meeting hotels.
- Nonrefundable abstract submission fee.
- Poster printing or shipping fees.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Meals for anyone other than the award recipient.
- Internet access or cell phone expenses.
- Parking violations, bail, etc.
- Medical treatment, co-pays, medications, etc.
- Entertainment or souvenirs.
Submitting original receipts
- Tape loose receipts, in an orderly fashion, to 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper, in date order. Do not send loose receipts or the request will be returned unprocessed.
- For expenses booked online, include a print out of the electronic receipt that includes name, airline/hotel, itinerary or location of stay, dates of travel/stay and amount paid.
- Every expense claimed, must be accompanied by a receipt. No matter how small the expense, a cup of coffee at Starbucks or breakfast at McDonald's, include the original receipt.
- Always get a receipt from a taxi driver.
- If you do not have a receipt, the expense cannot be claimed.
NIH Fellows or any applicant affiliated with the NIH or other government organizations are strongly encouraged to check with your administrative office regarding the rules governing acceptance of reimbursable funding prior to submitting an application. ASBMB travel award/grant funds are paid on a reimbursable basis only and no arrangements are made in-kind. ASBMB will make the reimbursement check payable to the NIH when instructed at the top of the reimbursement form.
ASBMB Child Care Grant
ASBMB Child Care Grant funds may be used to fund one of the funding scenarios noted in the online award description.
- Funding scenarios may not be combined
- Funds may not be used towards normal ongoing child care expenses
- Funds may not be used to transport your child(ren) to the meeting
- Funds may not be use toward the applicant/attendee's travel or other expenses associated with participation in the meeting.
Reimbursement submission deadline
Make and keep a copy of all documentation before mailing.
Mail to the address below postmarked no later than May 10, 2020:
Attn: Travel Award Reimbursement
11200 Rockville Pike, Suite 302
Rockville, MD 20852