Annual Meeting travel award guidelines and instructions
Please read completely before submitting an application.
- ASBMB membership, active members in good standing — read membership status section below.
- An abstract submission, as first author, to an ASBMB designated topic by the Nov. 30, 2021, deadline.
- Each applicant must be the first/presenting author of a unique, qualifying abstract.
- Submission of award application and supporting documents by Dec. 6, 2021, at 5 p.m. EDT.
- One application permitted per applicant.
- The submitter and the applicant must be the same individual. Advisors should NOT submit on behalf of a student/trainee.
- All application requirements, criteria, award reporting and/or required event participation are the applicant's responsibility.
- Failure to fulfill all requirements of the award is grounds for award forfeiture.
- Limited funding is available for each award/grant category and funding is awarded competitively.
- Submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
- No more than two travel awards will be awarded to a single lab.
- Only complete applications, submitted by the application deadline, will be reviewed/considered for funding.
- Application evaluation feedback is not provided.
- ASBMB travel funding is paid on a reimbursable basis. No support is provided in-kind or onsite at the meeting.
- All award decisions are final.
ASBMB membership is required to apply for an award. Membership status is verified and tagged to the application during the login phase of the travel award application process. Processing of renewals payments and/or new membership applications must be completed a minimum of two business days prior to application submission. Dues must be paid in full for the dues year, January–December 2022, prior to application submission.
- Have all required supporting documents ready to upload at time of application submission.
- Include applicant's last name and abstract ID number in the upper right corner of every page of all supporting documentation.
- All documents must be PDF format. All other file types must be converted to a .pdf file.
- Label each file name with applicant last name and document category, example ‘abstract,’ ‘advisor ltr,’ etc.
- Do not use hyphens, apostrophes, asterisks, letters with special characters (e.g. à, É, ü), etc. in the document file name. The system will not process these files.
Name supporting document files according to this format: last name_document type e.g.:
Completing the application
When asked for the control number, enter the abstract ID number assigned upon abstract submission. Enter the number only, not the 'R' letter at the beginning of the abstract ID.
Take a screen shot/capture of the error message to send to tech support. Here are some recommendations to investigate if you get stuck:
- Check the labels of your supporting document files. Remove apostrophes, hyphens or asterisks or letters with special characters from the file name.
- Exit the site, clear your browser history/cache and login again. Consider using a different browser or different computer in the lab or try from home.
- Be patient! The system may respond more slowly during times of heavy traffic or when uploading a large file. Wait for the complete upload of each required document.
- If you are delayed during the submission process, your session may time out. Login again and start the submission over.
- If you continue to experience difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, award category, detail of the error you received — a screen shot is preferred with an explanation of what led you to the error, and the browser you are using.
Award reimbursement policy
Reimbursement of travel award and grant funding is distributed by the ASBMB office in Rockville, Maryland, following the recipient’s participation in the meeting, including all programmed abstract presentations, required award activities and reporting, as detailed in each online award description.
The recipient must complete, sign and mail an ASBMB reimbursement form (form distributed as instructed in the award notification email) along with original receipts to the ASBMB office at the address noted at the bottom of this page
Make a copy of all documentation before sending to the ASBMB office.
- The average processing time from receipt of documentation in the ASBMB office to when a check is mailed is six (6) weeks.
- Reimbursement is paid by check in U.S. dollars and will be mailed to the address provided at the top of the travel reimbursement form.
- Reimbursement may be requested for eligible expenses up to the maximum amount of the award/grant.
- Expenses in excess of the award amount must be borne by the individual award recipient or the recipient’s institution.
- The reimbursement check will be made payable to the individual award recipient. If clearly stated on the reimbursement form, a reimbursement check may be made payable to the recipient’s institution.
- Name and mailing address must be legible for request to be processed.
- No funds will be distributed prior to the meeting.
- No arrangements will be provided in-kind.
- Reimbursement documentation cannot be emailed or faxed. It must be mailed to the ASBMB office at the address below.
Allowable travel-related expenses vary by award category. Please refer to the award description for specific exceptions to the following list of eligible, reimbursable travel expenses.
- Economy class airfare or train fare
- Pre and post meeting travel dates remain eligible for reimbursement. If you are traveling more than five days pre-meeting and five days post-meeting, contact email@example.com in advance of booking your travel.
- Open jaw itineraries remain eligible for reimbursement. For example, fly from home city to the meeting city and return from a different city to home city, or, fly from home city to the meeting city and return from the meeting city to a different city (not the home city). These examples of an open jaw itinerary are eligible for reimbursement.
- Travel may be on the carrier of your choice. You may book travel using the website or travel agent of your choice. You must present a receipt that shows the passenger name, price paid, class of service, itinerary and travel dates.
- Baggage fees are eligible for reimbursement.
- Mileage and parking at hotel or convention center, if driving to/from the meeting (mileage includes gasoline expenses).
- Parking (home airport).
- Transfers between the airport/train station and hotel or convention center.
- Hotel expenses:
- To request reimbursement of housing expenses, housing MUST HAVE BEEN booked through the Experimental Biology Housing Bureau. Housing booked outside the EB2022 Housing Bureau is not eligible for travel award reimbursement.
- Ineligible for reimbursement is housing arranged via Airbnb, Home Away, hotels outside the EB housing block, etc.
- If sharing housing with another attendee, submit the receipt with a note at the top of the other attendees who stayed in the room and the amount each person paid for the housing. If more than one travel awardee are sharing a hotel room, one awardee must submit the original receipt and the other must submit a copy of the receipt and note as a cross-reference, who submitted the original receipt.
- Housing one night pre and/or post meeting dates are eligible for travel reimbursement. Nights beyond this range are not eligible for reimbursement and are the travel awardee's responsibility.
Expenses that do not qualify for reimbursement include, and are not limited to:
- Meeting registration.
- Housing arranged via Airbnb, Home Away, and similar operations, as well as hotels outside the EB 2022 block of meeting hotels.
- Nonrefundable abstract submission fee.
- Poster printing or shipping fees.
- Meals/Alcoholic beverages.
- Internet access or cell phone expenses.
- First class airfare
- Parking violations, bail, etc.
- Medical treatment, co-pays, medications, etc.
- Entertainment or souvenirs.
Submitting original receipts
- For expenses booked online, include a printout of the electronic receipt that includes name, airline, itinerary or location of stay, dates of travel/stay and amount paid.
- Every expense claimed must be accompanied by a receipt.
- If you do not have a receipt, the expense cannot be claimed.
NIH Fellows or any applicant affiliated with the NIH or other government organizations are strongly encouraged to check with your administrative office regarding the rules governing acceptance of reimbursable funding prior to submitting an application.
Reimbursement submission deadline
Make and keep a copy of all documentation before mailing.
Mail to the address below, postmarked no later than May 10, 2022.
Attn: Annual Meeting Award Reimbursement
6120 Executive Blvd., Suite 400
Rockville, MD 20852