Dependent Care Grant
The ASBMB is accepting applications for grant support to help offset the cost of dependent care to enable members to present their research at the ASBMB Annual Meeting/EB 2022.
The ASBMB Dependent Care Grant is a reimbursable allowance of up to $1,000 towards one of the eligible scenarios detailed below. Funds may not be used for ongoing dependent care expenses or the costs associated with transporting the dependent or the attendee to the meeting.
Submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
- ASBMB membership, active members in good standing (processing of renewals payments and/or new membership applications must be completed a minimum of two business days prior to application submission). Dues must be paid in full for the dues year January–December 2022.
- Abstract, successfully submitted, as first author, to an ASBMB designated topic by 5 p.m. EST, Nov. 30, 2021.
- Priority will be given to students and early-stage scientists.
- Eligible dependents are defined as the following: children under the age of 16, parent, disabled child, spouse, partner or family member for whom the applicant is the primary caregiver.
- Only one grant per family may be awarded.
Grant recipients are required to participate fully in the following activities. Failure to attend the events listed below will result in forfeiture of the dependent care grant.
- Presentation of submitted abstract during the ASBMB Annual Meeting/EB 2022. Abstract programming notifications will be sent prior to the early registration deadline.
Eligible funding scenarios
Awarded funds may be applied to only one of the following eligible scenarios. Expenses in excess of the grant amount are the attendee’s responsibility. Funds may not be used towards expenses for transporting dependent or the attendee to the meeting.
Dependent care provider travels to attendee’s home
If the attendee must arrange for a family member or other care giver to travel to the attendee’s home to care for the dependent while the attendee participates in the meeting, grant funds may be used for travel costs associated with one dependent care giver’s travel from his/her home city to the attendee’s home. Grant funds may be applied towards care giver’s economy class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, parking at care giver’s home airport/station, or mileage and parking if driving to the attendee’s home. Expenses are reimbursable following attendee’s participation in the meeting and submission of original receipts and a completed ASBMB reimbursement form. Reimbursement form will be provided with the grant notification.
Dependent(s) travel to care giver outside home community
If the dependent(s) will be cared for by a relative or other care giver who resides outside the attendee’s community, grant funds may be applied to costs associated with transporting the dependent(s) to the care giver’s home. Funds may be used towards dependent(s) economy class airfare or train fare, unaccompanied minor travel fees (where applicable), airport/station transfers.
Dependent care provider travels to meeting location to care for dependent(s)
Particularly in the case of a dependent with special needs where it is not practical for the dependent to remain at home, grant funds may be applied to the travel costs associated with a family member or other care giver to travel to the meeting location to care for the dependent(s) while the attendee participates in the meeting. Funds may be used toward one care giver’s economy class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, airport/station parking, mileage to/from airport/station, car rental expenses if driving to the meeting location, on-site housing for the care giver (if housed in a separate room from the attendee).
Funding may NOT be applied to the following
- Ongoing child care or nursing care an attendee would normally incur (e.g. before/after school care or nursing care retained on an ongoing basis)
- Any of the attendee’s expenses
How to apply/Supporting documents
Supporting documents must be uploaded as PDF files. Review the award instructions for information on formatting and labeling supporting documents.
- Abstract — copy of abstract submitted as first/presenting author to an ASBMB topic. You must print and upload a copy of your abstract from the "proof read" step in the abstract submission system with your grant application.
- Include a benefit statement explaining how meeting attendance will benefit applicant's professional development
- Resume or abbreviated curriculum vitae (approximately two–three pages)
- Name supporting document files according to this format: