Child Care Grant
The ASBMB is accepting applications for grant support to help off-set the cost of child care to enable members with dependent children to present their research at the ASBMB annual meeting.
The ASBMB Child Care Grant is a reimbursable allowance of up to $1,000 towards one of the eligible scenarios detailed below. Funds may not be used for on-going child care expenses or the costs associated with transporting the child(ren) or the attendee to the meeting.
Submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
- ASBMB membership, active members in good standing (processing of renewals payments and/or new membership applications must be completed a minimum of two business days prior to application submission).
- Abstract, successfully submitted, as first author, to an ASBMB designated topic by Nov. 14, 2019.
- Priority will be given to students and early-stage scientists.
- Child(ren) must be under the age of 16 as of April 4, 2020.
- Only one parent of the child(ren) may apply for a grant and only one grant per family may be awarded.
- Applicant must not have received this award in 2019.
Grant recipients are required to participate fully in the following activities. Failure to attend the events listed below will result in forfeiture of the child care grant.
- Presentation of submitted abstract during the main EB meeting. Abstract programming notifications will include the presentation schedule and format, sent approx. late-Jan.
Eligible funding scenarios
Awarded funds may be applied to only one of the following eligible scenarios. Expenses in excess of the grant amount are the attendee’s responsibility. Funds may not be used towards expenses for transporting children or the attendee to the meeting.
Child care provider travels to attendee’s home
If the attendee must arrange for a family member or other care giver to travel to the attendee’s home to care for the child(ren) while the attendee participates in the meeting, grant funds may be used for travel costs associated with one child care giver’s travel from his/her home city to the attendee’s home. Grant funds may be applied towards care giver’s economy-class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, parking at care giver’s home airport/station, or mileage and parking if driving to the attendee’s home. Expenses are reimbursable following attendee’s participation in the meeting and submission of original receipts and a completed ASBMB reimbursement form.
Child(ren) travel to care giver outside home community
If the child(ren) will be cared for by a relative or other care giver who resides outside the attendee’s community, grant funds may be applied to costs associated with transporting the child(ren) to the care giver’s home. Funds may be used towards child(ren)’s economy-class airfare or train fare, unaccompanied minor travel fees (where applicable), airport/station transfers.
Child care provider travels to meeting location to care for child(ren)
Particularly in the case of an infant or child with special needs where it is not practical for the child to remain at home, grant funds may be applied to the travel costs associated with a family member or other care giver to travel to the meeting location to care for the child(ren) while the parent participates in the meeting. Funds may be used toward one care giver’s economy-class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, airport/station parking, mileage to/from airport/station, car rental expenses if driving to the meeting location, on-site housing for the care giver (if housed in a separate room from the attendee). Funds may not be used in combination with onsite child-care. Funds may not be used to transport child(ren) or attendee to the meeting.
Funding may NOT be applied to the following
- Ongoing child care an attendee would normally incur (e.g. before/after school care retained on an ongoing basis)
- Costs of child(ren) to travel to the meeting location
- Any of the attendee’s expenses
How to apply/Supporting documents
Supporting documents must be uploaded as PDF files. Review the travel award instructions for information on formatting and labeling supporting documents.
- Abstract — copy of abstract submitted as first/presenting author to an ASBMB topic. Please print and upload the copy from the "proof read" step in the abstract submission system.