Annual Meeting award guidelines and instructions
Please read completely before submitting an application.
- ASBMB membership, active members in good standing — read membership status section below.
- An abstract submission, as first author, to an ASBMB designated topic by the Jan. 7, 2021, deadline.
- Each applicant must be the first/presenting author of a unique, qualifying abstract.
- Submission of award application and supporting documents by Jan. 14, 2021.
- One application permitted per applicant.
- The submitter and the applicant must be the same individual. Advisors should NOT submit on behalf of a student/trainee.
- All application requirements, criteria, award reporting and/or required event participation are the applicant's responsibility.
- Failure to fulfill all requirements of the award is grounds for award forfeiture.
- Limited funding is available for each award/grant category and funding is awarded competitively.
- Submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
- No more than two travel awards will be awarded to a single lab.
- Only complete applications, submitted by the application deadline, will be reviewed/considered for funding.
- Application evaluation feedback is not provided.
- All award decisions are final.
ASBMB membership is required to apply for an award. Membership status is verified and tagged to the application during the login phase of the travel award application process. Processing of renewals payments and/or new membership applications must be completed a minimum of two business days prior to application submission. Dues must be paid in full for the dues year, Jan–Dec, 2021, prior to application submission.
- Have all required supporting documents ready to upload at time of application submission.
- Include applicant's last name and abstract ID number in the upper right corner of every page of all supporting documentation.
- All documents must be PDF format. All other file types must be converted to a .pdf file.
- Label each file name with applicant last name and document category, example ‘abstract,’ ‘advisor ltr,’ etc.
- Do not use hyphens, apostrophes, asterisks, letters with special characters (e.g. à, É, ü), etc. in the document file name. The system will not process these files.
Name supporting document files according to this format: last name_document type e.g.:
Completing the application
When asked for the control number, enter the abstract ID number assigned upon abstract submission. Enter the number only, not the 'R' letter at the beginning of the abstract ID.
Take a screen shot/capture of the error message to send to tech support. Here are some recommendations to investigate if you get stuck:
- Check the labels of your supporting document files. Remove apostrophes, hyphens or asterisks or letters with special characters from the file name.
- Exit the site, clear your browser history/cache and login again. Consider using a different browser or different computer in the lab or try from home.
- Be patient! The system may respond more slowly during times of heavy traffic or when uploading a large file. Wait for the complete upload of each required document.
- If you are delayed during the submission process, your session may time out. Login again and start the submission over.
- If you continue to experience difficulties, please contact email@example.com with your name, email address, award category, detail of the error you received — a screen shot is preferred with an explanation of what led you to the error, and the browser you are using.
Award reimbursement policy for Childcare Grant
Reimbursement is distributed by the ASBMB office in Rockville, Maryland, following the recipient’s participation in the meeting, including all programmed abstract presentations, required award activities and reporting, as detailed in each online award description.
The recipient must complete, sign and mail an ASBMB reimbursement form (form distributed as instructed in the award notification email) along with original receipts to the ASBMB office at the address noted at the bottom of this page
Make a copy of all documentation before sending to the ASBMB office.
- The average processing time from receipt of documentation in the ASBMB office to when a check is mailed is six (6) weeks.
- Reimbursement is paid by check in U.S. dollars and will be mailed to the address provided at the top of the travel reimbursement form.
- Reimbursement may be requested for eligible expenses up to the maximum amount of the grant.
- Expenses in excess of the award amount must be borne by the individual award recipient or the recipient’s institution.
- The reimbursement check will be made payable to the individual award recipient. If clearly stated on the reimbursement form, a reimbursement check may be made payable to the recipient’s institution.
- Name and mailing address must be legible for request to be processed.
- No funds will be distributed prior to the meeting.
- No arrangements will be provided in-kind.
- Reimbursement documentation cannot be emailed or faxed. It must be mailed to the ASBMB office at the address below.
Submitting original receipts
- For expenses booked online, include a printout of the electronic receipt that includes name, airline, itinerary or location of stay, dates of travel/stay and amount paid.
- Every expense claimed must be accompanied by a receipt.
- If you do not have a receipt, the expense cannot be claimed.
NIH Fellows or any applicant affiliated with the NIH or other government organizations are strongly encouraged to check with your administrative office regarding the rules governing acceptance of reimbursable funding prior to submitting an application.
Reimbursement submission deadline
Make and keep a copy of all documentation before mailing.
Mail to the address below, postmarked no later than June 1, 2021.
Attn: Annual Meeting Award Reimbursement
11200 Rockville Pike, Suite 302
Rockville, MD 20852