Graduate or Postdoctoral Travel Award
Read all criteria prior to submitting an application.
ASBMB travel awards will be awarded competitively to assist graduate students or postdoctoral fellows presenting research, as first author, at the ASBMB Annual Meeting, held in conjunction with Experimental Biology.
Awarded applicants will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $1,000.00 US towards qualifying meeting travel expenses.
Limited funding is available and submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
No more than two (2) travel awards may be awarded to a single lab.
- Applicant must successfully submit an abstract as first/presenting author to an ASBMB topic category #2000-2697, by the November 5th, abstract submission deadline.
- Preference may be given to ASBMB members, but is not an application requirement. See submission instructions for more information regarding membership status.
- International applicants welcome.
- Abstracts submitted to other sponsoring societies and late-breaking abstracts do not qualify.
REQUIRED EVENT PARTICIPATION
Award recipients are required to participate fully in the following ASBMB pre-meeting and meeting events. Details will be provided with award notification.
- Friday, April 1, Travel Award Active Networking Session
- Saturday, April 2, Trainee Professional Development Program and Poster Session.
- Presentation of submitted abstract during the main EB Meeting (Sun, Mon or Tues). Date of presentation will be communicated by the EB organizers in late January.
Required supporting documents must be uploaded, as PDF files, at the time of application submission.
Review the Travel Award Instructions for information on formatting and labeling supporting documents.
- Research Statement - 500 words describing the focus of your research, inspiration for pursuing a science degree/career and future career goals
- Abstract - copy of your successfully submitted abstract as first/presenting author to an ASBMB topic category.
- Benefit Statement - 500 words describing why attending this meeting would be helpful to you
- Current Advisor's Letter of Recommendation - in support of your application, must be submitted with the other supporting documents at the time of application – see “Note to Advisors” below.
NOTE TO ADVISORS
A letter of recommendation is required from each applicant's current research advisor and must be uploaded at the time of application submission. Address the letter of support to "ASBMB Travel Award Review Committee." Letter must be on institution letterhead and include the advisor's signature.
Letter of recommendation should address the following:
- Scientific merit of applicant's work
- How meeting attendance will benefit applicant's professional development
- Applicant's need for financial assistance to attend meeting.
HOW TO APPLY:
Read the Travel Award Instructions and follow the link at the end of the instructions page.