A biochemist’s or molecular biologist’s education is never complete. There are constantly new scientific discoveries to learn about and new skills to master. Professional societies offer a number of resources that are helpful to scientists at all career stages.This career brochure describes the field, career paths within it and the benefits of joining a professional society.
Download a PDF of the brochure
The ASBMB offers undergraduates, including students interested in health professions, a number of resources:
• Career resources
• Scholarships and awards - The ASBMB funds numerous awards and scholarships for undergraduates.
While many of these awards are associated with the Student Chapters
program, others are available to all undergraduate members
• Networking - As a member of the ASBMB, undergraduates are part of an organization of nearly 12,000 biochemists and molecular biologists, who they can connect with through ASBMB meetings and Student Chapters.
• Publications - ASBMB members have access to the three scientific journals the society publishes and the member magazine, ASBMB Today. Undergraduates can gain valuable experience by writing for the magazine or the undergraduate blog, The Substrate.
• Other resources
• Typical training timeline for undergraduates
• ASBMB Code of Ethics and online ethics resources