• We’ve begun stronger collaborations with our international colleagues. We have representatives in a number of countries, and Meetings Director Timothy Hla has begun discussions to initiate new international meetings. Our overseas representatives include:
Gerrit van Meer, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Lucio Cocco, University of Bologna, Italy
Pann-Ghill Suh, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Republic of Korea
Hitoshi Yagisawa, University of Hyogo, Japan
Rudi Zechner, University of Graz, Austria
Isabel Merida, Centro Nacional de Biotecnología, Spain
Stuart Pitson, University of Adelaide, Australia
Tony Futerman, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
• Rosalind Coleman is chairwoman of the Research Highlights section on our Lipid Corner Web site and continues to attract traffic to the site.
• We have launched a collaboration with Nature’s Lipid Gateway.
• A job board has been created for employers and job seekers.
• We now have a calendar to let everyone know of upcoming meetings and events.
As this year begins, many of us are filled with the energy and enthusiasm needed to tackle our aspirations. The LRD is no different. We have many things to look forward to, and we plan to accomplish quite a bit. For example, a primary focus of the Advocacy Committee will be to define our goals, objectives and strategies to increase investigator-initiated funding for lipid scientists. This is one of the more important endeavors of the LRD, and it will receive the attention it needs. Additionally, while we maintain our current trajectory and enhance our Lipid Corner Web site, we hope to continue our efforts to grow the Lipid Division, continue our Young Investigator Award, strengthen our growing international collaborations and institute a mechanism for electing officers at regular intervals.
So, we’re off to another great start, and we hope this year will be as productive as the last.
Daniel M. Raben (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a professor of biological chemistry at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.