Graduate or Postdoctoral Travel Award
Read all criteria prior to submitting an application
ASBMB travel awards will be awarded competitively to assist graduate students or postdoctoral fellows presenting research, as first author, at the ASBMB Annual Meeting.
Awarded applicants will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $1,000.00 US towards qualifying meeting related travel expenses.
A set number of awards are available and no more than two (2) travel awards may be awarded to a single lab.
- Applicant must successfully submit an abstract as first author to an ASBMB topic category #2000-2427, by the November 12 abstract submission deadline.
- Abstracts submitted to other societies’ abstract topics and late-breaking abstracts do not qualify.
- ASBMB Membership is not an eligibility requirement for this award, however, preferential consideration may be given to ASBMB members. See submission instructions for more information regarding membership status.
- International applicants welcome.
REQUIRED EVENT PARTICIPATION
Award recipients are required to participate fully in the following ASBMB pre-meeting and meeting events. Details will be provided to award recipients with award notification.
- Friday, April 25, Travel Award Plenary Lecture and Poster Presentations
- Saturday, April 26, Trainee Professional Development Program. Award recipients do not have to register for this event, but are responsible for registering for the EB2014 meeting.
- Presentation of submitted abstract during the main EB Meeting (Sun, Mon or Tues). Date of presentation will be communicated by the EB organizers in February.
Documents required to apply for this award must be uploaded at the time of application submission as PDF files.
Review, "Submission Instructions," for information on formatting and labelling supporting documents.
- Research Statement - 500 words describing the focus of your research, inspiration for pursuing a science degree/career and future career goals
- Abstract - copy of your successfully submitted abstract as first author to an ASBMB topic category.
- Benefit Statement - 500 words describing why attending this meeting would be helpful to you
- Current Advisor's Letter of Recommendation - in support of your application, must be submitted with the other supporting documents at the time of application – see “Note to Advisors” below.
NOTE TO ADVISORS
A letter of recommendation is required from each applicant's current research advisor and must be uploaded at the time of application submission. Address the letter of support to "ASBMB Travel Award Review Committee." Letter must be on institution letterhead and include the advisor's signature.
Letter of recommendation should address the following:
- Scientific merit of applicant's work
- How meeting attendance will benefit applicant's professional development
- Applicant's need for financial assistance to attend meeting.
HOW TO APPLY:
Read the Submission Instructions and follow the link at the end of the instructions page.
Submission Instructions Award Notification Reimbursement Policy