ASBMB 2013 Child Care Grant
Read all criteria prior to submitting an application
ASBMB is accepting applications for grant support to help off-set the cost of child care to enable scientists with dependent children to present their research at the ASBMB annual meeting, held in conjunction with Experimental Biology 2013, in Boston.
The ASBMB Child Care Grant is a reimbursable allowance of up to a maximum of $1,000.00 US towards one of the funding scenarios detailed below.
- Applicant must submit an abstract as first author to an ASBMB topic category, #2000-2408 by the November 13th, abstract submission deadline, prior to applying.
- Presentation of the submitted abstract as programmed is required. Programming notification is sent in February.
- Only one parent of a child(ren) may apply for a grant and only one grant per family may be awarded.
- Child(ren) must be under the age of 16 as of April 20, 2013.
- Priority will be given to students and early-stage scientists.
- Preference will be given to ASBMB members, but membership is not an eligibility requirement. Read membership status criteria below.
- A limited amount of funding is available and an application submission is not a guarantee of funding.
- U.S. residency is not required for this award.
Required Supporting Documents
- Applicant must upload, as a .pdf file, a copy of his/her "successfully submitted" abstract as first author to an ASBMB topic category #2000-2408.
Eligible Funding Scenarios
Awarded funds may be applied to only one of the following scenarios. Expenses in excess of the grant amount are the attendee’s responsibility.
- On-site child care through “Camp EB”
Fees charged for on-site child care through Camp EB, will be reimbursed up to the maximum allowance, following participation in the meeting and submission of an original receipt and completed ASBMB reimbursement form. A grant recipient may not combine reimbursement with any other child care funding scenarios when requesting reimbursement for on-site Camp EB child care services. Camp EB is located in the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (BCEC). Visit www.experimentalbiology.org for terms of service. Grant recipients must make arrangements directly with Camp EB.
- Child care provider travels to attendee’s home
If the attendee must arrange for a family member or other care giver to travel to the attendee’s home to care for the child(ren) while the attendee participates in the meeting, grant funds may be used for travel costs associated with one child care giver’s travel from his/her home city to the attendee’s home. Grant funds may be applied towards care giver’s economy-class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, parking at care giver’s home airport/station, or mileage and parking if driving to the attendee’s home. Expenses are reimbursable following attendee’s participation in the meeting and submission of original receipts and a completed ASBMB reimbursement form.
- Child(ren) travel to care giver outside home community
If the child(ren) will be cared for by a relative or other care giver who resides outside the attendee’s community, grant funds may be applied to costs associated with transporting the child(ren) to the care giver’s home. Funds may be used towards child(ren)’s economy-class airfare or train fare, unaccompanied minor travel fees (where applicable), airport/station transfers, mileage to/from airport/station and airport/station parking.
- Child care provider travels to meeting location to care for the child(ren) in Boston.
Particularly in the case of an infant or child with special needs where it is not practical for the child to remain at home, grant funds may be applied to the travel costs associated with a family member or other care giver to travel to Boston to care for the child(ren) while the parent participates in the meeting. Funds may be used toward one care giver’s economy-class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, airport/station parking, mileage to/from airport/station, car rental expenses if driving to the meeting location, on-site housing for the care giver. Funds may not be used in combination with onsite child-care, including Camp EB.
Funding may NOT be applied to the following
- Ongoing child care an attendee would normally incur (ex. before-after school daycare retained on an on-going basis)
- Costs of child(ren) to travel to the meeting location
- Any of the attendee’s expenses.
ASBMB Membership Status
ASBMB member or non-member status is verified and tagged to the application during the login phase of the travel award application process. While membership is not required for this award category, preference may be given to ASBMB members.
To qualify for ASBMB member staus on a travel award application, membership dues must be paid in full for the billing cycle which includes the 2013 Annual Meeting (Jan-Dec, 2013) prior to application submission.
Submission Instructions Award Notification Reimbursement Policy