ASBMB 2013 Graduate and Postdoctoral Travel Award
Read all criteria prior to submitting an application
Travel Awards are available to assist graduate students or postdoctoral fellows presenting their research at the ASBMB Annual Meeting (first author abstract submission required).
Awarded applicants will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $1,000.00 US towards qualifying meeting related travel expenses.
Applicant must successfully submit an abstract as first author to an ASBMB topic category #2000-2408, by the November 13 abstract submission deadline. Abstracts submitted to other societies’ abstract topics and late-breaking abstracts do not qualify for ASBMB awards.
ASBMB Membership is not an eligibility requirement for this award, however, preferential consideration will be given to ASBMB members. Member status is verified and tagged to the application at login to the travel award application site.
To qualify for member status on a travel award application, membership dues must be paid in full for the billing cycle which includes the 2013 Annual Meeting (Jan-Dec, 2013) prior to application submission.
U.S. residency is not required for this award.
Required Event Participation
An obligation of award acceptance is full participation in the following ASBMB sponsored pre-meeting and meeting events. Details will be provided to all award recipients with award notification.
- Friday, April 19, Travel Award Plenary Lecture and Poster Presentations
- Saturday, April 20, Trainee Professional Development Program
- Presentation of submitted abstract during the main EB Meeting, date of presentation will be communicated from EB2013@mirasmart.com in February.
Required Application Supporting Documents
The following documents are required to apply for this award and must be uploaded at the time of application submission as .pdf files.
Review, "Submission Instructions," for information on formatting and labelling supporting documents.
- Research Statement - 500 words describing the focus of your research, inspiration or motivation for studying science and future career goals
- Abstract - copy of your successfully submitted abstract as first author to an ASBMB topic category #2000-2397.
- Current Advisor's Letter of Recommendation - in support of your application, must be submitted with the other supporting documents at the time of application – see “Note to Advisors” below.
NOTE TO ADVISORS:
A letter of recommendation is required from each applicant's current research advisor and must be uploaded at the time of application submission. Address the letter of support to "ASBMB Travel Award Review Committee." Letter must be on institution letterhead and include the advisor's signature.
Letter of recommendation should address the following:
- Scientific merit of applicant's work
- How meeting attendance will benefit applicant's professional development
- Applicant's need for financial assistance to attend meeting.
Submission Instructions Award Notification Reimbursement Policy